These aren’t your average meatballs ladies and gents.
They’re SUPER POWER meatballs.
Why? Because they have super power ingredients. Some of which you may have never heard of, so I’ll share some insight as to what they are and how they benefit you.
What is it?
It’s a deactivated yeast sold in the form of flakes or powder. It’s popular among the vegans because it’s a complete protein, is naturally low in fat and sodium, and is high in fiber. It has a slight nutty/cheesy flavor so it’s often used as a cheese substitute, but it is extremely versatile. It’s generally fortified with vitamin B12 which we need for:
The top 5 health benefits of vitamin B 12 are: (source)
- It is needed to convert carbohydrates into glucose in the body, thus leading to energy production and a decrease in fatigue and lethargy in the body.
- It helps in healthy regulation of the nervous system, reducing depression, stress, and brain shrinkage.
- It helps maintain a healthy digestive system. Vitamin B12 also protects against heart disease by curbing and improving unhealthy cholesterol levels, protecting against stroke, and high blood pressure.
- It is essential for healthy skin, hair, and nails. It helps in cell reproduction and constant renewal of the skin.
- Vitamin B 12 helps protect against cancers including breast, colon, lung, and prostrate cancer.
Hemp Seeds (1 of the 5 Superfoods you Need to Eat!)
What are they?
Another favorite among the vegans, hemp seeds are also a complete protein which means they contain all of the important amino acids, as well as essential fatty acids. A mere three tablespoons packs a whopping 16 grams of protein and only seven grams of carbohydrates, five of which are from fiber.
What is it?
Ezekiel bread is a sprouted grain which is easier to digest than whole wheat breads. It’s also a complete protein and contains 18 amino acids, including all 9 essential ones the body can’t produce.
Other benefits: (source)
- Increased Absorption of Minerals – Sprouting breaks down enzyme inhibitors, so your body can more easily absorb calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc.
- Increased Vitamin C – Sprouting produces vitamin C.
- Increased Vitamin B – Sprouting increases the vitamin B2, B5 & B6.
- Great source of Fiber – Combining sprouted grains and legumes gives a good amount of natural fiber in each serving.
You can find most of the items at your local health food store or you can purchase them online from iHerb and get $10 OFF your first order of $40 or more AND FREE shipping!!!
Use coupon code COZ833 at check out.
As you can see, these are little nutrient powerhouses! And they’re baked, not fried, making them even healthier! I hope you’ll give them a shot. As always, please tag me (on IG, twitter, or Facebook) if you make any of my recipes, and let me know what you think!
SUPER POWER Meatballs
Makes 34 balls
– 1 lb ground venison (or extra lean ground beef)
– 1 lb 93/7 ground turkey
– 2 eggs
– 1 tbsp italian seasoning
– 1 tbsp nutritional yeast powder
– 3 tbsp hemp seeds
– 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
– 1 slice ezekiel bread, torn into bread crumb pieces (low sodium, regular, or sesame)
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/8 tsp pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees farhenheit.
2. Line two cookie sheets with nonstick foil.
3. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and get messy. Mix it all together with your hands until everything is well incorporated.
4. Using a cookie scoop, scoop each ball and put onto the tray, leaving about an inch or two in between balls.
5. Cook for 30-35 minutes.
ps I think these would qualify as a #strangebutgood combo.
Wouldn’t you agree, Laura?!