Cake… for breakfast? YES PLEASE! But before we dive into the recipe, did you guys know Starbucks teamed up with Living Social today? For the next 12 hours you can spend $5 to get a $10 Starbucks gift card!!! Woo hoo!! #coffeeaddict You’ll have no excuse not to try my clean treat creation now
Click this link to purchase your gift card.
Ok now on to the pan-CAKES!
Carrot Cake Protein Pancakes
slightly adapted from this recipe
Serves 1 (makes 3, 1/4 cup pancakes)
1/2 cup carrots, finely grated
2 egg whites
1/4 cup 2% low fat cottage cheese
1 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 tbsp ground flax seed
1 scoop protein powder (I used Gaspari Cinnamon Roll)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1 Laughing Cow cinnamon cream cheese wedge
about 1 tbsp (or 6 whole) chopped almonds
1. Put all of the ingredients, except the carrots, into a food processor or blender. Mix until everything is fully incorporated and there are no lumps. Add the carrots and pulse a couple times until the carrots are just mixed in.
2. Put your mixture into the refrigerator for about 10 minutes, allowing everything to set. (**I made my batter the night before and left it in the fridge overnight so in the morning all I had to do was heat my griddle and cook them.)
3. Preheat skillet over medium heat. Spoon mixture onto skillet using a 1/4 size measuring cup. (makes 3, 1/4 cup pancakes) Cook until medium sized bubbles form.
4. Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes on the second side.
5. Plate first pancake and spread with a third of the cream cheese wedge. Repeat with other two pancakes and sprinkle the top layer with a dusting of cinnamon and the chopped almonds. Enjoy!
Nutrition Values (with toppings):